Future of Queen's Plate race up in the air
TORONTO (AP) - The Queen's Plate race is set for its 153rd running on Sunday, though this could be the last edition of North America's oldest continuously run stakes race.
The president and chief operating officer of Woodbine Entertainment Group says the future of the $1 million horse race is in doubt if the Ontario government doesn't change its plan to scrap its slot machine revenue-sharing program at provincial tracks.
Nick Eaves made the announcement at Thursday's post-position draw.
Earlier this year, Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty announced he was axing a revenue-sharing agreement with racetracks that gives them a cut of the slot profits, amounting to $345 million a year.
Eaves says he can't see how horse racing in Ontario could survive without the revenue-sharing program, set to be canceled by March 13, 2013.